How about this weekend, we prepare this incredible whole wheat flour focaccia? A perfect recipe to enjoy at meetings, with friends or simply with family. Make your appetizers and snacks full, complete and healthy with this fabulous integral version. Cheer up!
Focaccia, of Italian origin, is a type of flat bread that usually has some herbs and other ingredients added to the top. Similar to pizza, due to its preparation, but with the difference of not having tomato sauce as the main ingredient. Even so, there are varieties, as is the case with pizzas and also stuffed ones.
Let’s talk about the recipe:
Preparing this recipe is easy, since it has no complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. The ingredients used are just a few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need with without inconvenience.
Unlike pizza dough, it is not kneaded because its texture is rather sticky due to its higher concentration of water. For this reason, the dough is dressed superficially with a good amount of olive oil for two reasons: the first, so that it does not stick during handling and subsequent cooking. Second, to provide that crunchy layer of characteristic flavor.
Beyond the fact that focaccia is a simple recipe, what it does require is time in the preparation to obtain its typical texture of flat bread, spongy and crispy on its surface. Because to obtain it, a certain leavening time is needed for those famous alveoli, the result of fermentation, to be produced.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, the whole wheat flour used is 100% organic whole wheat, finely ground (unless it is mentioned). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the smaller the volume, the smaller the final product.
The fat used is olive oil and, unlike other preparations, it is integrated superficially into the dough and not for its preparation. In turn, it can be replaced by sunflower oil, although it is not convenient in terms of texture or final flavor. Therefore, it is advisable to take into account the type and class of ingredient when preparing a recipe.
As for the rest of the ingredients that are usually added superficially, there are rosemary and coarse salt. Although there are versions that can have onion called fugazza y fugazzeta and others with cherry tomato. There are also stuffed with other types of ingredients such as ricotta, olives, tomatoes, arugula, etc.
Finally, this whole wheat flour focaccia is baked at a medium high temperature for the first 10 minutes and then lowered to medium low until it is completely cooked. As I always recommend, to obtain a good result, adapt the baking according to the type of oven available because each one has a particular and unique cooking.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 700 g / 24.69 oz / 5 ¾ cup
- Water 600 ml / 20.28 oz / 2 ½ cups
- Dry yeast 10 g / 0.35 oz / 2 tsp - Fresh yeast 30 g / 1.05 oz
- Olive oil c/n
- Whole cane sugar 1 tsp
- Salt 3 g / 0.10 oz / ½ tsp
- Rosemary n/a
- Coarse salt n/a
- Cherry tomatoes 5
- Pitted olives 5
- Foam the yeast in a bowl by placing part of the water, the whole cane sugar and the yeast for 15-20 minutes.
- On the table, in a bowl or kneading machine, place the whole wheat flour, salt and yeast foam. Gradually add the water and integrate. Ball the dough and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- In a square or rectangular baking dish with olive oil, put the dough. Dip the fingers in oil and stretch little by little without making holes in the dough. If the dough exerts resistance, pause between batches of 5 minutes until the dough is completely stretched. Let rise for 15-20 minutes. Then press the dough again with the fingertips dipped in oil over the entire dough without going through it. Repeat this step 3-4 times.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Flavor with rosemary, sprinkle with coarse salt to taste, and place other ingredients of your choice.
- Bake at high temperature for 10 minutes. Then continue baking at medium temperature for approximately 15-20 minutes more.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- Whole wheat flour, depending on its brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate gradually. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.
Equivalences English measuring cups:
|1 Cup||¾ Cup||½ Cup||⅓ Cup||¼ Cup|
|250 ml||190 ml||125 ml||80 ml||60 ml|
Measuring spoons equivalents:
|1 Tbsp||½ Tbsp||1 Tsp||½ Tsp||¼ Tsp|
|15 ml||7.5 ml||5 ml||2.5 ml|| |