Integralisimo proposes you to make this whole wheat flour potato burger bun. You will see how easy and practical it is to make these buns without a mold with this simple but exquisite recipe. Ideal bread for all kinds of burgers, whether meat, fish, vegetarian or vegan. Cheer up for this 100% whole wheat version!
Let’s talk about the recipe:
Preparing these whole wheat breads is simple because it does not have a great complication in terms of its preparation, and it has more than one advantage. The ingredients used are just a few, frequently used and easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need with without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, the whole wheat flour used is 100% organic whole wheat, finely ground (unless it is mentioned). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the smaller the volume, the smaller the final product.
The potato is used in the form of a purée to integrate into the dough. So if you have a bit of purée leftover from a previous meal, it would be a great way to recycle it. Also, you can use dehydrated potato flakes as an alternative. However, it will be cheaper to make the puree than to buy the flakes.
Another ingredient in this recipe is the egg, which makes these buns fluffy and soft. Although, if you prefer hamburger buns with a slightly more rustic texture, or you are allergic to eggs, you can opt for another of my recipes by substituting part of the whole wheat flour for potatoes. I leave the link here.
Even though the fat in this opportunity is butter because it provides softness, you can replace it (see notes) with margarine, sunflower oil, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
About the shape of the buns:
Pre kneading makes the dough taut and is a bit difficult to work with. So letting the dough rest for a few minutes would help it relax. Once rested, divide the dough into equal parts and make small round buns. With the quantity of this recipe, 6 buns of approximately 110 g / 0.242 lb / 3.53 oz each were obtained (standard size).
To shape these buns, you do not need a special mold. In fact, I did not use any at all in this recipe. For this, only a little patience is required because each portion of dough should be balled, leaving them as smooth and round as possible. Then they are placed in a baking dish with the closure of the dough facing down. This way they won’t warp during baking.
Before baking these hamburger buns, you can brush them with gilding (mixture of egg and milk). Also, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Baking takes a few minutes and is recommended not too long to prevent the buns from drying out. As soon as they begin to brown, remove the baking tray from the oven.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Post a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 450 g / 15.88 oz / 3 ¾ cups
- Mashed potato 150g / 5.30oz
- Butter 30 g / 1.06 oz / 1 tbsp
- Milk - Water 225 ml / 7.70 oz / 15 tbsp
- Whole cane sugar 20 g / 0.70 oz / 1 tbsp
- Dry yeast 8 g / 0,28 oz / 1 ½ tsp
- Egg 1
- Salt 5 g / 0.17 oz / 1 tsp
- Foam the yeast in a bowl by placing part of the water/milk, whole cane sugar and yeast for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- On the table, bowl or kneading machine, place the whole wheat flour, salt, yeast foam and mashed potatoes.
- Add the egg and gradually incorporate the water/milk until integrated.
- Incorporate the butter. Knead until you get a smooth, soft and elastic dough. Round the dough and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into six equal parts (buns of 110-120 grams / 3.88-4.23. oz / 0.24-0.26 lb each approx.). Place on a baking dish previously sprayed with vegetable spray. Leave a free space between them.
- Divide the dough into six equal parts (100-110 grams / 3.53-3.88 oz / 0.220-0.242 lb each approx). Place on a baking dish previously sprayed with vegetable spray. Leave a free space between them.
- Let rise until doubled in volume. Brush with the egg mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds as desire.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before storing, freezing or consuming.
- Whole wheat flour, depending on its brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate gradually. Be sure to incorporate gradually.
- It can be use margarine or any other type of cooking oil.
- Replacement of butter for sunflower oil: 40 ml / 2 ½ tbsp.
- Milk can be replaced by water or vegetable milk.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- You get 6 burger buns with whole wheat flour.
- Homemade burger ideas here.
Equivalences English measuring cups:
|1 Cup||¾ Cup||½ Cup||⅓ Cup||¼ Cup|
|250 ml||190 ml||125 ml||80 ml||60 ml|
Equivalences measuring spoons:
|1 Tbsp||½ Tbsp||1 Tsp||½ Tsp||¼ Tsp|
|15 ml||7.5 ml||5 ml||2.5 ml||1.25 ml|