This winter holiday, surprise your children with these butter-free chocolate whole wheat cookies recipe. A popularly known candy in Argentina, totally irresistible. That is why today I propose this recipe to prepare them in a simple way at home. And best of all, much cheaper! Go ahead and try this simple but exquisite recipe!
Let’s talk about the recipe:
Preparing this recipe is simple because it has no complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. The ingredients used are just a few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need with without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, 100% organic whole wheat flour is used, finely ground (unless it mentions it). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the smaller the volume, the smaller the final product.
The fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But it can be replaced by butter, margarine, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
In the same way, you have the choice of using milk, no-dairy milk or simply water. As well as using a mixture of them, that is half-and-half. However, replacing it with just water will result in a slightly more rustic texture. Therefore, keep these details in mind when modifying the recipe.
Although this recipe uses only the egg yolk, another possible option would be to use the whole egg. However, the final texture may change a bit. Briefly, while the yolks provide fat, flavor, color and have emulsifying power, the whites mostly provide moisture and volume to the preparation.
About the dough:
On this occasion, a dough without elasticity is prepared. Therefore, it is not kneaded so that the gluten does not develop, resulting in a hard dough instead of brittle. So, it is more than enough to mix all the ingredients well and make it homogeneous. The dough can be prepared by hand, mixer or food processor.
The final texture should be a smooth, uniform dough, without being sticky, rather dry. Next, little by little, the milk/water/no-dairy milk will be added to avoid excess moisture. And as a consequence, do not make excessive use of flour in the preparation or when molding the habanitos cookies.
Optionally, although you can make the dough with cold butter, it is equally convenient to let the dough rest in the refrigerator for a while. In this way, its handling will be easy and better to shape the habanitos. Likewise, a slightly more verbose result will be obtained. Also, once formed, the tray could be taken to the refrigerator and they better preserve their shape during baking.
Lastly, this whole wheat candy is baked at a medium low temperature, hovering around 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes and without over browning. Recommendable for a good result, first to adapt the baking according to the type of oven available and second, that the baking is as punctual as possible and does not dry out or burn.
About the chocolate coating:
Finally, once baked and cold, the habanitos are coating in chocolate. That is why a type of chocolate that has the necessary characteristics must be used. Indistinctly, black or white, it has to be a tempered chocolate bath. Because it’s not only cheaper, hardens faster, and covers evenly, but it also saves the labor of tempering the chocolate.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Write me a comment at the end of the post 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 300 g / 10.58 oz / 2 ½ cup
- Whole cane sugar 120 g / ¾ cup / 6 tbsp
- Sunflower oil 60 ml / ⅓ cup / 4 tbsp
- Egg yolk 1
- Vanilla essence 2 tsp
- Backing powder 15 g / 0,35 oz / 3 tsp
- Water / Milk / No-dairy milk 100 ml / 6 ½ tbsp
- Semi-sweet chocolate coating 300 g / 10.58 oz
- In a bowl, place the whole cane sugar, yolk, sunflower oil and vanilla essence. Mix.
- Add the flour and baking powder, alternating with the water/milk/no-dairy milk until it forms a dough. Optionally, wrap in plastic kitchen film and take to the fridge for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough and make thin rolls of dough (consider that they will grow during baking because they have baking powder) and cut portions of the same length.
- Place on a baking sheet previously oiled or sprayed with vegetable spray. Leave a free space between them. With a skewer, you can mark horizontal lines in the dough to obtain a similar appearance to the purchased ones (here it was not done).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 356 °F for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.
- Melt the chocolate coating in a bain-marie or microwave. Coat cookies with chocolate and place on parchment paper (not a rack because they will stick).
- Substitute sunflower oil for butter: 100 g / 3.53 oz / 2-3 tbsp
- Whole wheat flour, depending on its brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate gradually. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.