This week, Locos Por Los Dulces proposes you to prepare these homemade pepas cookies. A simple recipe that, with few ingredients and steps to follow, you will get wonderful cookies. Ideal for all times of the day, whether breakfast or snacks. Cheer up and delight!
Let’s talk about the recipe:
Preparing these cookies is simple because there is no difficulty during their preparation. The ingredients used are just a few, frequently used and easy to find. This time I made these pepas with quince paste. But you can use other sweets like potato paste, milk caramel, or some other thick consistency.
About the ingredients:
To make this recipe, 0000 flour is used, commonly known in other countries as all-purpose flour. In general, depending on its brand, it can absorb more or less amount of liquid. That is why I recommend incorporating gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the smaller the volume, the smaller the final product.
Although the fat in this opportunity is butter, you can replace it (see notes) with margarine, sunflower oil, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
About the sweet paste:
The type of sweet used is to your choice. Among the available options can be pastry sweet milk, quince paste, etc. But you have to take that choice into account, since the sweet you use should be thick in consistency. In this way, being thick, it will facilitate the filling and its consumption and storage will be more thorough.
To fill these cookies and be practical, you can use a pastry bag. Previously, before filling the pastry bag you have to soften the candy to obtain a cream consistency. Generally, this kind of thick sweet is sold in block form. So to get that creamy consistency, you need to soften it first.
Softening the sweet is not difficult, since it only needs to be exposed to heat. For this, there are some options, such as the traditional bain-marie or the microwave. Whatever the choice, do not forget to stir to homogenize or prevent it from burning. If it is extremely dry, the solution is to add a little water or milk, depending on sweet type.
About the cookies:
To mold the pepas there are two options: the first is to make small balls of dough and place them in the baking dish. Then with a finger press the center of the dough to hollow out and fill with the sweet. The second consists of making a roll with the dough, cutting slices, placing in the baking dish and filling in the same way as the first option.
Finally, these homemade pepas cookies are baked at a medium low temperature, which is around 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit, for about 10-15 minutes. For a good result, it is recommended, first, to adapt the baking according to the type of oven available and second, that the cooking be as punctual as possible.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Write me a comment at the end of the post 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- All-purpose flour 350 g / 12.35 oz / 3 cups
- Butter 120 g / 4.23 oz / 3 tbsp
- Sugar 160 g / 2.12 oz / ¾ cup / 8 tbsp
- Baking powder 10 g / 0.35 oz / 2 tsp
- Eggs 2
- Vanilla essence 1 tbsp
- Others: quince paste, sweet potato paste, etc.
- In a bowl place the butter at room temperature and the sugar. Beat until creamy. Continue beating, add the eggs one by one and the vanilla essence.
- Incorporate the flour with the baking powder in batches. Mix to form a dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic kitchen wrap. Store in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- To mold the cookies: form a roll with the dough and cut small portions or make small individual balls. Then place on a previously buttered baking dish and with a finger crush in the center to hollow out and fill with quince paste.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 356 °F for 15-20 minutes.
- Replacement of butter for sunflower oil: 50 ml / 3 ¼ tbsp.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- To soften the quince paste: place in a bowl, add a little water and place in a water bath or microwave for a few seconds.
- The flours, depending on their brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.