This week’s sweet proposal are these spectacular apple squares recipe. A simple recipe, ideal to make the most of the apple season and prepare something delicious for your breakfasts, snacks or desserts. Also a fantastic idea for kids to take to school and enjoy something delicious and homemade.
Let’s talk about the recipe:
Preparing this recipe is easy because it is a recipe that has no complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. The ingredients used are just a few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
To make these squares, I used 0000 flour, commonly known in other countries as all-purpose flour. In general, depending on your brand, it can absorb more or less amount of liquid, which is why I recommend incorporating it gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the smaller the volume, the smaller the final product.
The fat used in this opportunity is butter. But you can substitute margarine, sunflower oil, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
In this type of recipe you can choose between animal milk, vegetable milk or simply water. Similarly, you have the option of using a mixture of them, that is, half and half. Also, you can opt for some fruit juice like orange, for example. Consequently, depending on what you decide to use to make this recipe, it can significantly change its final flavor.
Other options are about the choice of apples, which can be red, green or both. And to integrate into the preparation they can grate, cut into pieces or also make a purée. Certainly, if the apples are used in chunks when cutting the cake into squares, the pieces of fruit will be visible. On the other hand, if they are purée, they will not be seen and their texture will change.
Finally, these apple squares are baked at a medium low temperature of 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for approximately 40 minutes. As I always recommend, for a good result, you must first adapt the cooking according to the type of oven available; second, that this cooking be as punctual as possible and not dry out.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- Flour 0000 - All purpose flour 250 g / 8.81 oz / 2 cups
- Sugar 200 g / 7.05 oz / 1 cup
- Baking powder 15 g / 0.52 oz / 1 tbsp
- Milk 300 ml / 8.45 oz / 1 ¼ cup
- Butter 100 g / 3.52 oz / ½ cup / 2 ½ tbsp (heaping)
- Vanilla essence 2 tsp
- Lemon juice 1
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Apples 2-3
- Eggs 2
- Wash, peel (optional) and cut the apples into thin slices. Add lemon juice and cinnamon. Mix. Reserve.
- In a bowl, place the sugar and butter at room temperature. Beat until clear.
- Add the eggs one by one and the vanilla essence without stopping beating.
- Incorporate the milk little by little, interspersing with the flour and baking powder until you get a semi-liquid mixture. Add the apples and stir.
- Pour the preparation into a previously buttered and floured mold or use parchment paper (it sticks quite a bit). Optionally, sprinkle with sugar, muscovado or common.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 356 °F for approximately 40 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Cool and unmold.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- Substitute butter for sunflower oil: 50 ml / 1.69 oz / 3 ¼ tbsp.
- It can be use margarine or any other type of cooking oil.
- Milk can be replaced by water or vegetable milk. Final texture should be considered.
- Flour and baking powder can be substituted for cake flour.
- At the end of baking you can brush the apples with jelly, sweet, jam or some other clear pastry glaze.
- The flours, depending on their brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate gradually.
Equivalences English measuring cups:
1 Cup ¾ Cup ½ Cup ⅓ Cup ¼ Cup 250 ml 190 ml 125 ml 80 ml 60 ml
Measuring spoons equivalents:
1 Tbsp ½ Tbsp 1 Tsp ½ Tsp ¼ Tsp 15 ml 7.5 ml 5 ml 2.5 ml 1.25 ml