To start this week, I suggest you prepare these zucchini rolls with brown rice that are very practical to make. An ideal recipe for light and nutritious lunches and dinners, especially on those days of intense heat. Make the most of zucchini season with this easy and amazing recipe!
Zucchini, also known as courgette, squash or Italian squash, is a fruit belonging to the pumpkin family that can be eaten both raw and cooked. Its main characteristic, its high percentage of water, followed by fiber, protein and zero percentage of fat. Reason why it is included in numerous food plans.
Let’s talk about the recipe:
Preparing this recipe is easy, since it has no complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. The ingredients used are just a few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
Preferably, the zucchinis chosen for this recipe should be of a considerable size to be able to roll up the filling. On the contrary, if they are small, it will not be possible to give the necessary turns to wrap it. Although if you only have those and want to take advantage of them, a solution would be to place the zucchini slices and prepare it in layers as if it were a lasagna.
As the title says, they are zucchini rolls with brown rice. So, first, it is to cook brown rice because compared to the commonly used white rice, it has a longer cooking time. This time can range between 30 and 45 minutes depending on the brand.
Secondly, it is convenient to prepare the zucchini to be used, which are washed and cut into thin slices. And for this, you can use a mandolin or cut carefully with a knife. Therefore, in order for the zucchini to be flexible and to be able to be rolled without breaking, it will be necessary to cook them for a few minutes.
About the filling:
Although this filling is made up mostly of brown rice, other ingredients that add flavor will be needed to obtain a tasty result. Of course, these will depend on the particular taste of each one. On this occasion, shredded tuna, onion, garlic, fresh parsley, soy sauce as a distinctive touch and cream cheese were added.
About the cooking:
Finally, once the zucchini rolls are assembled, they are placed in the oven for a few minutes to heat or au gratin with cheese. Similarly, it can be accompanied by sauce of choice, either white or red. Another way to accompany it, for example, with different side dishes such as fresh salads, purées, baked potatoes, other roasted vegetables, etc.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- Cooked brown rice 2 cups
- Shredded tuna 170 g / 5.99 oz / 1 can
- Cheese Spread 2-3 tbsp
- Zucchini M 3-4 units
- Onion M1
- Garlic 2
- Seasoning: salt, pepper, fresh parsley
- Optional: soy sauce, grated cheese.
- Others: ricotta, chicken, minced meat, etc.
- Sauté the onion and minced garlic.
- Add cooked brown rice, soy sauce. Sauté a few minutes.
- Remove from the stove. Add the shredded tuna and season to taste. Reserve.
- Wash and cut the zucchini into slices. Place in a baking sheet previously oiled or sprayed with vegetable spray. Bake at medium temperature for 5-10 minutes.
- Two options: First, make a roll with a sheet of zucchini and fill with a disposable pastry bag. Pinch both ends with your fingers to compact the filling. Second; place a little of the filling on one end of the zucchini sheet and roll up. Pinch both ends with your fingers to compact the filling.
- Place in a baking sheet previously oiled or sprayed with vegetable spray.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese. Add sauce of choice. Bake until gratin.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months)
- Store in the refrigerator.