For those looking to make a hearty, delicious, economical and also healthy snack, I leave you this recipe on how to make whole wheat baked onion rings. Without a doubt, a spectacular idea to include in a charcuterie board, accompanied by different dips or sauces. A super versatile recipe that you can adjust according to preference and need!
Onion rings are a type of breaded and fried snack. And that, optionally, they are an alternative to replace the classic fries in hamburgers, hot dogs, and other fast foods. It is also common to serve them as snacks in bars and breweries to accompany drinks.
Let’s talk about the recipe:
Although there are several ways to make onion rings, today I propose this one. In which, it is a simple recipe that does not require great difficulty. In addition, the ingredients are just few and easily accessible in any market. What’s more, you can change or replace any of them, either by pleasure or need, without inconvenience. And best of all, they are baked!
About the ingredients:
The onions that are chosen have to be of a considerable size. Because at the time of cutting them to obtain the onion rings, they must be a good size. Once the onions have been cut crosswise, the rings are carefully separated and do not break.
The hearts or centers of the onions are discarded because they are too small and are generally not used. But they are saved and used in any other recipe that requires this ingredient. Therefore, they are passed through flour, then removing the excess and from there through seasoned beaten egg.
It is important to use condiments to obtain a tasty result, otherwise it will not be. Therefore, do not hesitate to use a good amount of them, whether they are dehydrated or fresh. Similarly, mustard can also be added to this mixture, which will give it a touch of distinction.
Finally, it is breaded with breadcrumbs. Alternative ingredients exist for this recipe. For example, those who must follow a gluten-free diet can replace flour with cornstarch, brown rice flour, etc. And the breadcrumbs for brown rice batter, gluten-free batter or other gluten-free product suitable for baking.
The cooking of these onion rings have an estimated cooking time of 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. On this occasion, to make them light and healthy, vegetable spray was used. Although you can also use sunflower, olive or some other oil according to preference or availability.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- Large onions 4
- Eggs 3-4
- Mustard 1 tbsp
- Whole wheat flour n/a
- Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs c/w
- Condiments: ground chili, oregano, parsley, pepper, garlic, etc.
- Peel the onions and cut slices of approximately 1 cm. Separate the rings, place in a bowl.
- Add whole wheat flour and mix. Reserve.
- In a bowl put whole wheat breadcrumbs. In another place the eggs, season to taste. Beat.
- Remove excess flour from onion rings. Pass through beaten egg and then through breadcrumbs. Place on a baking dish with vegetable spray. Spray the rings with a little vegetable spray or some preference cooking oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160-180 °C / 320 - 356 °F for 5-10 minutes. Optionally, turn the onion rings halfway through cooking.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Celiac: Use gluten-free ingredients (without TACC).
- Use salt-free breadcrumbs or adjust their amount accordingly.
- For them to come out with a thick breading, go through breadcrumbs twice.
- Double breading will require more amount of egg. Or, failing that, add a little milk or water to the mix.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).