Today I propose you to make this vegan shepherd’s pie that is a delight. Ideal for vegans or simply for those who want to leave the meat a little aside. Also, wonderful for those who want to try other versions of this classic and famous dish consumed worldwide.
From British origin, the shepherd’s pie, whose name comes from cottage pie, a name acquired by the lower class when they gained access to potatoes. Which consists of a single or double layer of mashed potatoes and another of minced meat. Depending on the country and its customs when preparing it, you can find different varieties.
Let’s talk about the recipe:
Although making this recipe is simple because it has no complications in terms of its preparation, and it has more than one advantage, if it takes time. The ingredients used are few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
One of the main ingredients is mashed potatoes, which you can prepare in the traditional way after boiling the potatoes. Texto original si lleva tiempo. Or if you do not have time, and you do not feel like cooking, you can buy dehydrated potato flakes of the brand that you like the most. Whatever option you choose, it is important to condiment the mashed potatoes well so that the result is tasty.
Textured soy is a protein obtained during the defatting of soy flour and a subsequent extrusion process. It is well known for being one of the most frequently used meat substitutes due to its similarity in its preparation method. Although it must be properly hydrated before use, having some options for it.
One of them is to hydrate the textured soy in water, and another is in broth. For example, vegetables, which will also provide a great advantage by adding flavor. Generally, for good hydration, double the liquid is used, that is, if a recipe has 100 grams of soy, 200 ml of water will be used.
However, this may vary depending on the brand, so reading the instructions on the package would be more than convenient. This time I bought soy that had to be hydrated for three times its weight Generally, once hydrated, triple its dry volume is obtained as a result. The estimated hydration time varies between 10-20 minutes.
About The Filling:
Every filling has its secret, mainly given by the quality of the ingredients and secondly by the contribution of flavor provided by seasonings, for example. In fact, this is no exception, since although soy is an aliment with fantastic properties, in terms of flavor it is quite tasteless if you do not combine it with other ingredients that add flavor.
Within the ingredients of this recipe I used the most classic, accessible and economical ones that turned out quite well. The method of cooking follows the same order as a classic filling, since the soy is cooked in the same way as if it were minced meat. However, as a preference, I add the grated carrot at the end when everything is already cooked.
Other ingredients that you can add to this filling are green or black olives, raisins, vegan cheese, capers, etc. And if you are not vegan, but you are interested in trying this recipe, you have the classic hard-boiled egg and grated or mozzarella cheese as an option. Still, you can add, omit or replace any of them as a preference.
Shepherd’s Pie Assembly:
In Argentina, it is customary to use two layers of mashed potatoes and one of filling, just like the picture. However, you can use a single layer of potatoes and do less amount of puree. Also, there are those who prepare it simply, but with pie dough, then the filling and finally the puree layer. In this way, it would be more comfortable when serving.
Finally, although all the ingredients are already cooked, the vegan shepherd’s pie is baked to heat, gratin or give body to the preparation. This makes it compact, thus facilitating its distribution. The recommendation is to use a medium low temperature for approximately 30-40 minutes.
Tenés alguna duda o sugerencia? Escríbeme un comentario al final de esta receta
¡No te olvides de seguirme en las redes sociales para saber las últimas novedades de mis recetas!
- MASHED POTATOES:
- Potatoes 1200 kg / 4 large
- Margarine / Olive oil
- Non-dairy milk
- Textured soy 200 g
- Water / Broth 600 ml
- Onions M 2
- Red pepper M ½
- Carrot M 2
- Garlic 2
- Various: salt, pepper, paprika, paprika, turmeric, curry powder, ginger powder, cinnamon, etc.
- Optional: olives, cheese, capers, raisins, etc.
Hydrate the textured soy in water or broth for 10-25 minutes. Reserve.
FOR THE MASHED POTATOES:
- Wash and peel the potatoes, cut into cubes. Boil in plenty of boiling water until softened. Remove from heat and strain. Place in a container and puree. Season to taste. Reserve.
FOR THE FILLING:
- Sauté the onion, garlic and chopped red pepper in a hot pan with a few drops of oil.
- Add the hydrated textured soy. Season to taste. Mix.
- Cook for a few minutes or until you see that the soy has changed color. Add the grated carrots. Mix.
- In a previously oiled or sprayed with vegetable spray, place half of the mashed potatoes in a baking dish. Spread, level and compact with a spoon, thus forming a base with a layer of purée.
- Pour the filling. Spread, level and compact with a spoon, thus forming a layer with the filling. Add olives or another ingredient of preference (optional).
- Add the rest of the mashed potatoes. Spread, level and compact with a spoon, thus forming the last layer of this potato cake.
- Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon or both (optional). Bake at medium low temperature for approximately 30-40 minutes.