If we talk about options to replace meat in kitchen classics, this is one of them. Prepare in a simple way some magnificent vegan lentil meatballs. Ideal for all kinds of dishes, whether they are sauces, stews, rice, salads and much more.
Let’s talk about the recipe:
Preparing this recipe is easy, since it has no complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. The ingredients used are few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
The lentils, this time the brown ones with thin skin. But you can use any variety, whether they are pardina, castilian, blond, green (puy), red, yellow, black (beluga) lentils, etc. Which previously may or may not soak. Although if you choose to skip this step, the cooking time will consequently be different, prolonging it.
Certainly, both soaking and cooking times fluctuate depending on the variety of lentil (see notes). Then it is advisable to read the instructions on the package or know the lentil that is going to be used before starting with the recipe. However, you can use canned lentils and skip this step.
Another ingredient in this recipe is raw and grated carrot. Which brings more than one benefit: flavor, consistency and body to the preparation. But you can choose another ingredient as long as it does not add a significant amount of liquid to the preparation and therefore makes it impossible to mold the meatballs.
One of the secrets of these meatballs is the consistency of the preparation. Since the firmer the preparation, the fewer additions will be needed to obtain it. And as a result, we will obtain light and tasty meatballs. That is why it is so important that the lentils are cooked to the point, that is, they are left with a certain firmness but without being raw or overcooked.
Therefore, once the lentils are cooked, the excess liquid is removed and, if necessary, they are placed on a kitchen cloth to dry. Then in a bowl with a fork or potato masher they are crushed a little, but without completely undoing them as in a purée. Rather, if there are some whole ones being noticed in the preparation, it will give it distinction.
In itself, lentils are a bit bland, so you will need ingredients that add flavor but without subtracting consistency. For this reason, it is important to use condiments, whether dehydrated or fresh, and thus obtain a tasty result. If you want to use garlic or onion, it is advisable to use powder.
Perhaps for some reason, the mixture is not firm enough to assemble the meatballs. Then you will need of some ingredient that absorbs moisture and provides firmness. For example, chickpea flour, cassava starch, corn starch, chia flour, rice breadcrumbs, rice flour, vegan breadcrumbs, boiled rice, oatmeal etc.
Although it is not necessary to cook when flours and starches are not used, among the cooking options could be the oven, grill, pan or boil them. This time they were sealed in a pan as if it were a meatball in a classic pasta sauce preparation.
Tenés alguna duda o sugerencia? Escríbeme un comentario al final de esta receta
¡No te olvides de seguirme en las redes sociales para saber las últimas novedades de mis recetas!
- Cooked lentils 400 g
- Grated carrot 1
- Condiments: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, oregano, paprika, etc.
- Various: chickpea flour, cassava starch, cornstarch, chia flour, rice batter, rice flour, vegan breadcrumbs, boiled rice, oatmeal, oatmeal, etc. N/A
- Tomato sauce 1 l
- Onion 1
- Garlic 2
- Condiments: salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, paprika, bay leaf, etc.
- Place the cooked and cold lentils in a bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the grated carrot. Season to taste. If consistency is lacking, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour, cassava starch, corn starch, chia flour, rice crumbs, rice flour, vegan breadcrumbs, etc. (I used 1 chia flour and cassava starch). Mix well. Store in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Assemble the meatballs, compacting well with the hands. Reserve.
- Sauté the onion and minced garlic. Add the lentil meatballs. Cook for a moment.
- Add the tomato sauce. Season to taste. Cook until the sauce thickens a bit.
- So that the sauce is not too acidic, add a little sugar.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- Lentils generally double in size with hydration. So this recipe used approximately 200 grams of lentils / 1 cup of lentils.
- To speed up the soaking time, add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water.
ESTIMATED SOAKING TIME:
- Blondes: (4-8 hours)
- Castilian: (4-8 hours)
- Pardina: (2-8 horas)
- Green: (2-8 horas)
- Puy: (30 minutos-4 horas)
- Black: (30 minutos-4 horas)
DO NOT NEED SOAKING:
- Thin-skinned lentils
- Red lentils
- Peeled yellow lentils
ESTIMATED COOKING TIME:
- Blondes: 20-25 minutes (with soak) / 30-35 minutes (without soak)
- Castilian: 20-25 minutes (with soak) / 30-35 minutes (without soak)
- Pardina: 18-22 minutes (with soak) / 30 minutes (without soak)
- Green: 18-22 minutes (with soak) / 30 minutes (without soak)
- Puy: 18-20 minutes (with soak) / 25-30 minutes (without soak)
- Black:15-18 minutes (with soak) / 22-26 minutes (without soak)
- Yellow: 20-25 minutes (without soaking)
- Red: 20-25 minutes (without soaking)