Today I bring you this basic savory tart dough with whole wheat flour recipe! Prepare your tarts in a simple way, with few ingredients, and with all the benefits that 100% whole wheat food provides! Undoubtedly, it’s the best recipe for all!
Pasqualine or whole wheat tart dough was a very requested recipe and was pending to do because no recipe convinced me. And after trying several combinations, I stayed with this one. Which is a very pleasant dough to consume, far from being heavy or compact. Also looks great on all kinds of savory whole wheat tarts recipes.
What’s more, if you do it as explained in the instructions, it results in a dough that tends to flake. Similar in texture to short pastry dough but with the benefit of not using butter for its preparation, which makes it much lighter and fewer calories. Although this will change depending on the ingredients with which it is filled as well.
Let’s talk about the recipe:
This savory tart dough with whole wheat flour is the simplest and easiest recipe of all. Because it is a recipe that does not have great complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. On the one hand, there is its simplicity, since a dough that is not kneaded. And, on the other hand, it is about the ingredients to use, which are few, frequently used and easy to find.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, the whole wheat flour used is 100% whole grain, organic fine grind (I don’t use mixes unless I mention it). In general, depending on its brand, it can absorb more or less amount of liquid. So I recommend incorporating them gradually. Keep in mind that the lower the volume is, smaller final product you will get.
The fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But it can be replaced by margarine, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. As a result, depending on which fat is used, its texture can be modified. Therefore, always take into account the type of ingredient that is used to make a recipe on time.
About the dough:
In this opportunity, a dough without elasticity is prepared. Therefore, it is not kneaded so that the gluten does not develop, and a chewy dough is not obtained. It is enough just to combine the ingredients, without the need to be completely homogeneous. When using butter or margarine, it is integrated cold and in small pieces, forming a grit with the hands or food processor.
The proportions of this recipe are sufficient to prepare an open whole wheat tart using a high mold of 26-28 centimeters / 10.23 – 11.02 inches in diameter. Although it is also possible to use smaller, higher or lower tart molds. To make a closed savory tart, duplicate the ingredients of the recipe or adapt to a smaller mold.
It is advisable to bake whole wheat tarts at a suitable temperature, thus avoiding burning the base of the whole wheat dough and acquiring a bitter taste as a consequence. Generally, a medium low temperature is used, around 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for about 30-40 minutes.
However, whenever the mold size is changed in a recipe, the cooking times must be changed as well. Because this can take more or less baking time according to size, height and amount of filling used. Similarly, baking can be affected depending on the oven and type of heat used for it.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Don’t forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 250 g / 8.81 oz / 2 cups
- Baking powder 10 g / 0.35 oz / 2 tsp
- Milk - Water 150 ml / ¾ cup
- Sunflower oil 40 ml / ¼ cup / 2 ¾ tbsp
- Salt 5 g / 0.17 oz / 1 tsp
- Egg 1
- In a bowl, place the whole wheat flour, salt and baking powder. Mix.
- Add the egg, the sunflower oil. Incorporate the water gradually until it forms a dough.
- Wrap the tart dough and store in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Stretch the dough in a circular shape. Sprinkle with whole wheat flour if necessary.
- Lift the dough with the rolling pin. Cover a detachable tart mold of 26-28 cm / 10.23-11.02 previously sprayed with vegetable spray or brushstroke with oil.
- Press the dough with your fingers to shape. Cut off excess dough if there is any. Add the filling of your choice.
- Bake in a preheated 180 degree / 356 Fahrenheit oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to the indicated temperature 15-20 minutes before baking.
- To unmold it easier, use removable pie molds.
- It is not a sticky or dry dough. The amount of liquid should be enough for all the ingredients to join.
- Whole wheat flours depending on their brand can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate gradually.
- Substitute sunflower oil for butter: 30 g / 1.05 oz / 1 tbsp.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).