How about preparing this wonderful homemade lomito bread recipe? You will see how simple this recipe is, super practical! Without too much elaboration or steps to follow, you will get spectacular and delicious bread! An ideal bread for ternderloin sandwiches, milanesas, vegetables, cold cuts, and much more! Dare to prepare it and make the best sandwiches you’ve ever tried!
The lomito or tenderloin sandwich is a typical classic sandwich from Argentina. Which consists of a thin, rectangular shaped bread, also known as a sanguchero bread. To assemble these sandwiches, the bread is cut in half and spread with some dressing (mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, etc).
Inside it is commonly composed of a beef steak (loin), fried egg, cooked ham feta, cheese (mozzarella, tybo, creamy), tomato and lettuce. Although there are varieties that are assembled with special ingredients. Among which you can find bacon, caramelized onion, special sauces, avocado, sautéed vegetables, etc.
In general, this sandwich is toasted to prevent the ingredients from moistening the bread and falling apart when eating. In this way, the bread is more crisp, almost does not fall apart and makes it more comfortable during consumption. It can be toasted before or after depending on the preference or custom of the person who prepares it.
Let’s talk about the recipe:
To make this homemade lomito bread recipe I used 0000 flour, commonly known in other countries as all-purpose flour. In general, depending on its brand, it can absorb more or less amount of liquid. So I recommend incorporating liquids gradually. Keep in mind that the lower the volume is, smaller final product you will get.
The fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But it can be replaced by any of your preference, be it margarine, butter, olive oil, sunflower oil, etc. As a result, depending on what fat is used, its texture or flavor can be modified accordingly.
In this recipe it has some options regarding the liquid to use. Among them you can choose water + powdered milk, water only, liquid milk, half and half + powdered milk, etc. Use the amount and type according to your liking and preference. But keep in mind that dairy makes these breads softer, and if it is not used, its absence will be noticed.
About the shape of the buns:
Although a soft and malleable dough is obtained, it is necessary to let it rest for a few minutes at the end of kneading. Because this previous kneading makes the dough tense and it is difficult to work with it. Therefore, letting it rest for a few minutes will help it relax and be docile.
Once rested, divide the dough into equal parts and make a bun. With this recipe you can make sandwiches breads of the size you need. With the proportions of this recipe you get half a dozen homemade lomito bread standard size. Using 150-160 grams of dough for each one approximately.
Before baking, the lomito breads buns can be painted with browning (a mixture of egg and milk). Also, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Baking takes a few minutes and it is recommended not to overcook. This prevents the bread from drying out or toasting too much. As soon as they brown, remove the tray from the oven.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Don’t forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- Flour 0000 - All purpose flour 500 g / 17.64 oz / 4 ¼ cup
- Instant dry yeast 7,5 g / 0.26 oz / 1 ½ tsp - Fresh yeast 25 g / 0.88 oz
- Powdered milk 10 g / 0.35 oz / 2 tsp
- Sunflower oil 40 cc / 3 tbsp
- Sugar 40 g / 1.41 oz / 2 tbsp
- Milk 180 ml / ¾ cup / 12 tbsp
- Water 180 ml / ¾ taza / 12 tbsp
- Salt 10 g / 0.35 oz / 2 tsp
- For paint the buns:
- Egg 1
- Milk 3-4 tbsp
- In a container place the milk, sugar and yeast. Dissolve.
- On the table, in a bowl or kneading machine, place the flour, salt, milk powder, pre ferment and sunflower oil. Mix. Add the water little by little until it forms a dough.
- Make a bun with the dough, cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts (150-160 g / 0.33-0.35 lb / 5.29 oz / 5.64 oz). Make a bun with each of the parts. Cover with plastic kitchen wrap, in this way the dough does not dry with the air. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- To shape these bread, take a dough bun, crush with the fingers to degacify.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangular shape using a rolling pin.
- Place on a baking sheet previously oiled or sprayed with vegetable spray. Cover with plastic kitchen wrap. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush with browning, sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
- Bake in preheated oven at 160-180 degrees / 320-356 Fahrenheit for 15-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven. Place the hot dog buns on a wire rack until cool. Store.
- Can be used butter, margarine or any other type of cooking oil.
- Replacement butter for sunflower oil: 20 g / 0.70 oz / ½ tbsp.
- It can be use water, milk, vegetable milk, etc.
- Store in a closed container.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- You get 6 homemade lomito breads.
- Flours according to the brand can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.