I keep expanding the variety in terms of bread recipes and today I bring you this new proposal, homemade hot dog buns, a super fluffy, soft and delicious bread! An exquisite hot dog buns that will turn a simple meal into something truly extraordinary! You cannot miss this recipe because I am sure you are going to love it!
Hot dogs, or also called panchos and perros calientes, are a food recognized worldwide and adored by both children and adults. There are different sizes and types of sausages, ranging from a simple and simple meal to a gourmet dish.
These hot dog buns are very simple to make, no special mold is needed to give them their characteristic shape of long bun. In addition, it is a simple dough to work with, it does not present complications in terms of its preparation.
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
With this recipe you can make hot dog buns of the size you need. This time I made super hot dogs so they were longer. Therefore, I used a larger amount per bun of dough (160g / 5.64oz of dough) But at these proportions you can make a dozen standard size hot dog buns using half the dough (80 g / 2.82 oz).
The dough is soft and docile, although it needs to be kneaded a lot to achieve the necessary elasticity that these hot dog buns need. Therefore, if you have a kneading machine, you will save this extra effort. Likewise, you can make the recipe by hand anyway.
Forming these buns breads involves a very simple and well-known technique, widely used in bread recipes, especially those that require a result with a lot of crumb. Which consists of stretching the dough bun in a rectangular shape and then rolling it by pressing with your fingers. The ends of the dough roll don’t close like baguettes or French bread.
Although no special mold is needed to bake these breads, it is best to use a high tray. Then limit the free spaces with aluminum foil and beans. In addition, it is important to leave a space available between bread and bread because they will rise (a considerable space for them to touch each other but not overlap).
The cooking takes little time, it is quite fast compared to its preparation. To give them a golden touch, you can choose to brush them first with browning (mixture of egg and milk). And also, sprinkle with sesame seeds if you prefer.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 500 g / 17.64 oz / 4 ¼ cups
- Egg 1
- Powdered milk 40 g / 1.41 oz / 3 tbsp
- Sugar 40 g / 1.41 oz / 2 tbsp
- Butter 40 g / 1.41 oz / 1 tbsp
- Milk 130 ml / 8 ½ tbsp
- Water 130 ml / 8 ½ tbsp
- Instant dry yeast 7,5 g / 0.26 oz / 1 ½ tsp - Fresh yeast 25 g / 0.88 oz
- Salt 1 tsp
- For paint the buns:
- Egg 1
- Milk 3-4 tbsp
- In a bowl place the milk, water and egg. Whisk.
- In another bowl, place the flour, salt, sugar, milk powder and yeast.
- Add the liquid mixture, form a dough. Add the butter. Knead until you get a soft, smooth and elastic dough. Make a bun and let it rest for 10 minutes so the dough relaxes.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts. Make a bun with each of them, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Crush the dough with your fingers and roll it out into a rectangular shape.. Then roll up pressing firmly with your fingers.
- Place on a baking tray previously sprayed with vegetable spray (the closure of the dough facing down). Leave a free space 1-2 cm / 0.393-787 in between each bun. Limiting the free spaces with a barrier of aluminum foil and beans is necessary. Let rise until doubled in volume.
- Brush with the egg and milk mixture, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in a low temperature oven 160-180ºC / 320-356 ºF for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.