This week’s whole wheat proposal are these spectacular apple squares with whole wheat flour. An ideal recipe to make the most of the apple season and make something delicious for your breakfasts, snacks and desserts. Also, a fantastic idea for kids to take to school and enjoy something much healthier.
Let’s talk about the recipe:
Preparing this recipe is easy because it is a recipe that has no complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. The ingredients used are just a few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, the whole wheat flour used is 100% whole grain, organic fine grind (I don’t use mixes unless I mention it). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the smaller the volume, the smaller the final product.
The fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But it can be replaced with margarine, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
This is a recipe where you can choose between milk, non-dairy milk or just water. Similarly, you have the option of using a mixture of them, that is, half and half. Consequently, depending on what you decide to use to make this recipe, it can significantly change its final flavor.
Other options are about the choice of apples, which can be red, green or both. And to integrate into the preparation they can grate, cut into pieces or also make a purée. Of course, if the apples are used in pieces, when cutting the squares, pieces of fruit will be noticed. On the other hand, if they puree them, they will not be seen.
Lastly, this whole wheat cake is baked at a medium low temperature of 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes. As I always recommend, for a good result, you must first adapt the cooking according to the type of oven available; second, that this cooking be as punctual as possible and not dry out.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Post a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news about my recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 220 g / 7.76 oz / 1 ¾ cup
- Whole cane sugar 180 g / 6.34 oz / 9 tbsp
- Baking powder 18 g / 0.63 oz / 1 tbsp
- Milk 200 ml / 6.76 oz / ¾ cup
- Sunflower oil 50 ml / 1.69 oz / 3 ¼ tbsp
- Vanilla essence 2 tsp
- Lemon juice 1
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Apples 2-3
- Eggs 2
- Wash, peel (optional) and cut the apples into thin slices. Add lemon juice and cinnamon. Mix.
- In a container place the eggs, the whole cane sugar, vanilla essence and milk. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the sunflower oil. Mix.
- Add the whole wheat flour in batches with the baking powder. Mix without beating.
- Add all the apples or part of them and use the rest to decorate on top. Mix.
- Pour the preparation into a previously greased and floured mold. You can also line the mold with parchment paper (it sticks quite a bit).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 356 °F for approximately 40 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Cool and unmold.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- Butter, margarine or any other type of cooking oil can be used.
- Milk can be replaced by water or vegetable milk. Final texture should be considered.
- At the end of baking you can brush the apples with jelly, sweet, jam or some other clear pastry glaze.
- Whole wheat flour, depending on its brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate gradually. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.Equivalences English measuring cups:
1 Cup ¾ Cup ½ Cup ⅓ Cup ¼ Cup 250 ml 190 ml 125 ml 80 ml 60 ml
Measuring spoons equivalents:
1 Tbsp ½ Tbsp 1 Tsp ½ Tsp ¼ Tsp 15 ml 7.5 ml 5 ml 2.5 ml 1.25 ml